During the current cold spell it's important to be extra cautious on the roads, so here are 10 Top Tips for driving in this weather....
- Before you go be sure you have appropriate dry shoes on to avoid your foot slipping from the pedal. Ensure you have de-icer and a scraper. Make sure you have optimum visibility before you set off on your journey by cleaning any ice from all the windows mirrors and lights.
- Check you screenwash. Use a good quality screenwash that protects and prevents the water from freezing. If you don’t, your windscreen wipers could be rendered useless in extreme conditions.
- Check tyres for adequate tread. Poor tyres will not grip when driving on snow and ice.
- When you set off, do so in second gear, releasing the clutch and accelerating gently, avoiding high revs – this will prevent wheel spin.
- As you drive, stay in higher gears and don’t drive too fast to avoid losing control.
- Watch out for "black ice." Remember black Ice is hard to spot, the road may look shiny or glossy. It is nearly transparent ice that often looks like a harmless puddle or is overlooked entirely. Watch out for black ice, especially in sheltered / shaded areas on roads, under trees and adjacent to high walls.
- Stopping distances are increased by up to 10 times in icy conditions, so leave plenty of distance between your car and the car in front.
- If your car loses grip, take your foot off the accelerator, and point the front wheels where you want to go.
- Keep to the main roads as they’re more likely to be gritted. Also bear in mind that after the frost has gone, ice can remain in areas which are shaded by trees and buildings.
- Where you park can help reduce your risk of being involved in someone else’s accident. So look for off road parking where possible or gritted roads if not.
We offer a range of Winter Accessories for your Toyota to enquire call us now on 01 517 5000.
Safe Driving from Toyota Liffey Valley!